The Lancet: Health-care delivery for long-term survivors of childhood cancer

In their article in The Lancet (Dec 9, p 2569),1 Bhakta and colleagues provide compelling data and novel statistical analysis to quantify the overwhelming lifetime cumulative burden of chronic health conditions caused by curative pediatric cancer therapies. As a 27-year survivor of Hodgkin’s lymphoma, I applaud the authors’ suggestion that it might be time to rethink the methods by which we provide care for long-term childhood cancer survivors. As a patient, I have had numerous encounters over the past three decades that have left me frustrated by the scarcity of easy access to coordinated comprehensive care for survivors. As a physician and pediatric oncologist, I also possess the knowledge that has allowed me to advocate for my care. I survived open-heart surgery at age 35, and a mild stroke at age 38—two of the many late health effects that impact my life. My good fortune is that I have been immersed in the medical system throughout my lifespan as a survivor, which has positioned me to receive the very best medical care. But what about survivors that do not have easy access to health care? Most survivors face financial obstacles and have difficulty finding high-quality coordinated care. Our current system does not effectively manage this medically underserved population. Childhood cancer survivors are frequently used to highlight the amazing successes of modern medicine. We owe it to these patients to develop more robust and comprehensive care systems to help address their ongoing chronic health needs.

Learn More Button

Article Categories: All News, PR Stories

Since 2004, UT Health San Antonio, Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute’s (Greehey CCRI) mission has been to advance scientific knowledge relevant to childhood cancer, contribute to understanding its causes, and accelerate the translation of knowledge into novel therapies. Greehey CCRI strives to have a national and global impact on childhood cancer by discovering, developing, and disseminating new scientific knowledge. Our mission consists of three key areas — research, clinical, and education.

Stay connected with the Greehey CCRI on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.