Luiz O.F. Penalva, PhD
Luiz O.F. Penalva, PhD
Major components of my research program include:
- Screening and characterization of RBPs and miRNAs implicated in neuronal stem cell function and brain tumors.
- Construction of regulatory maps for neuronal differentiation and brain tumor development.
- Development and improvement of computational and functional methods for miRNA/RBP target identification and functional outcome.
- Development of RNA-based approaches for therapy.
- Proneural and mesenchymal glioma stem cells display major differences in splicing and lncRNA profiles.
- Zika Virus Targets Glioblastoma Stem Cells through a SOX2-Integrin αvβ5 Axis.
- ELF4 Is a Target of miR-124 and Promotes Neuroblastoma Proliferation and Undifferentiated State.
- The Diverse Roles of RNA-Binding Proteins in Glioma Development.
- Antagonism between the RNA-binding protein Musashi1 and miR-137 and its potential impact on neurogenesis and glioblastoma development.
RNA biology, genomics, RNA binding proteins, miRNAs, alternative splicing, translation, brain tumors
RNA binding proteins (RBPs) and miRNAs play significant roles in gene expression by controlling all stages of mRNA processing, its transport, localization, decay, and translation. My laboratory studies these two regulators from a global perspective. We use a combination of genomics, systems biology, biochemistry, bioinformatics, and molecular biology to investigate the networks formed by RNA binding proteins, miRNAs and their target genes and evaluate their impact on biological processes, cancer, and disease states. I am particularly interested in the neuronal tissue and the analysis of gene regulators implicated in both differentiation and brain tumor development.
- Musashi1 in brain tumor development
- miRNAs in neurogenesis and brain tumor development
- Alternative splicing and translation regulation
- Understanding the dynamics of translation regulation
Make a donation to help further Dr. Penalva’s research.
Graduate Research Assistant
Yiqiang Zhang, PhD
- Gabriella Quintanilla
Featured NewsLuiz O.F. Penalva PhD Awarded CPRIT Grant to Study New Glioblastoma (GBM) Regulator Luiz O.F. Penalva PhD Awarded CPRIT Grant to Study Glioblastoma (GBM) Luiz O.F. Penalva, PhD, Co-corresponding Senior Author on NPJ Genomic Medicine publication.
- Frontiers in Molecular BioScience: Structural Characterization of the RNA-Binding Protein SERBP1 Reveals Intrinsic Disorder and Atypical RNA Binding Modes (Libich & Penalva labs) October 13, 2021
- Adam Kosti Successfully Defends PhD Dissertation (Penalva Lab) June 21, 2021
- Please welcome the Greehey CCRI summer 2021 interns June 7, 2021