Washington Post – Live, “How cancer lives on in young adults after treatment ends”

Speaking to The Washington Post Tuesday, Gregory Aune, Assistant Professor of Pediatric Cancer Research at The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio and young cancer survivor explained how the side effects of early cancer treatments can live with a person for the rest of their life. “I had hyperthyroidism from the radiation I received,” Aune said. “I found out I had diabetes which was a consequence of the radiation to my abdomen.” Aune concluded “What we have to teach our patients is that a new part of their life comes next. What I’ve learned over the last 27 years as a survivor is that it’s really never over. There are consequences of the treatments that we take.”

Learn More Button

Article Categories: All News, PR Stories, Video

Since 2004, UT Health San Antonio, Greehey Children’s Cancer Research Institute’s (Greehey CCRI) mission has been to advance scientific knowledge relevant to childhood cancer, contribute to understanding its causes, and accelerate the translation of knowledge into novel therapies. Greehey CCRI strives to have a national and global impact on childhood cancer by discovering, developing, and disseminating new scientific knowledge. Our mission consists of three key areas — research, clinical, and education.

Stay connected with the Greehey CCRI on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram.